There are huge varieties of process piping and fittings based on their internal and external diameters, types of flanges and their threading options. In this post, we shall talk about few different sanitary process piping. This type of sanitary piping is used in beverage, pharmaceutical, food and personal care product industries.
Such types of sanitary replacements parts, tubing and fittings are developed as they can be easily cleaned either manually or by using in CIP process. Where there is a chance of bacteria development they can limit the area that are trapped. They also do not get corroded.
Following are few characteristics of sanitary piping and fittings:
- Outer diameter of the pipe is used for identifying these piping. Therefore, by measuring the outer diameter you can decide what its size is and where it has to be fitted.
- The sizes are available in the ranges of ½” to 12” and the most commonly used sizes are between ½” to 4”.
- For ½” to 3” sizes of tubes have wall thickness of 0.065”.
- For 4” tubes the wall thickness is 0.083”.
- For 6” tubes the wall thickness is 0.109”
- For 10” and 12” tubes the wall thickness is 0.120”
- The materials used for most of the sanitary fittings are 304 or 316L stainless steel. In very limited range of sizes, noble alloys like Titanium, Hastelloy or AL6XN are available.
- Surface finish quality is categorized by its Ra. In order to determine Ra, you need to take average distance between valley and peak on the surface of metal. The unit of measurement is micro inch. Any biopharmaceutical company will need tubing in the range of 15 to 20 Ra.
- There is no pocket, tight radii or threads in sanitary fittings. The sanitary elbow’s radii are standardized. Usually, the radius of any sanitary elbow is 1.5 times the outer diameter of the tube. Therefore, if you want to find about 1” elbow then its radius is 1.5” and for 2” elbow it is 3” and so on.
- The most common sanitary fitting has sanitary and buttweld clamp. Any sanitary joint clamping consists of 2 gender neutral fittings which has sanitary gasket in the middle of it. All the heads can be clamped together.
There are number of suppliers in the USA, who are dealing with sanitary tubing and there are even few suppliers from China and Israel. You can contact them from their website.